HomeBusinessEthereum Developers Announce New 'Difficulty Bomb' Delay

Ethereum Developers Announce New ‘Difficulty Bomb’ Delay

Ethereum developers announce another delay of the “difficulty bomb”, a section of the consensus algorithm that ultimately makes it impossible to mine Ethereum.

This announcement comes as another piece of bad news for Ethereum enthusiasts hoping for the completion of the Ethereum 2.0 merger in August. While ConsenSys researcher Mikhail Kalinin officially kicked off work on the Ethereum upgrade in July last year, various developers have since informed the wider community about the progression algorithm migration. power-intensive proof-of-work solution from Ethereum to a PoS algorithm.

Although no official launch date has been announced, Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin has previously said that the upgrade could be available by August unless there are significant issues.

Difficulty Bomb Delays

The latest developer update arrived on Friday, outlining potential delays in rolling out the “difficulty bomb,” a piece of code that, when activated, gradually boots blockchain miners by increasing the difficulty of the game. mining, until it became impossible to mine Ethereum.

The developers have already rolled out the difficulty bomb and delayed it before.

Issues on Friday prompted developers to push back the Ethereum 2.0 release date after testing the merger for bugs on the Ropsten testnet, one of the oldest testnets for Ethereum. Fourteen percent of network validators, including those responsible for securing the network, were taken offline when the new code was deployed, according to a developer, Danny Ryan.

Either way, Ryan said he would “jump for joy” if the code was deployed to the main Ethereum blockchain in its current state. He summarized the Ropsten test as a situation where 9% of validators have a configuration issue, and two minor bugs affect some stakers (those who lock coins to have a chance to validate transactions and secure a proof-of-custody network). participation).

However, other developers are more cautious, advocating a delay until all issues are resolved.

“Delaying it buys you time,” Thomas Jay Rush said on the call, facilitated by lead developer Tim Beiko.

“It looks bad for the community, but there’s nothing you can do about it.”

Beiko thinks the difficulty bomb restart could give developers some breathing room and avoid burnout.

“If we delay that, I think it should be a realistic timeframe to maintain a sense of urgency. But too much pressure pushes teams into burnout; that’s also a situation we don’t want to be in.

Another developer Alexey Sharp said they are already working hard and don’t need the “sense of urgency”.

Beiko’s Confident Exit Will Happen This Year

Beiko admitted that they are not yet at the mainnet code, i.e. the code is not ready to merge with the current Ethereum blockchain.

Buterin said the merge could be delayed if the developers needed more time, estimating a September or October release. Beiko told Bloomberg that the merger is unlikely to happen this year, citing a 90-99% chance.

The difficulty bomb delay is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, a post-deployment failure would be catastrophic for the network.

On the other hand, the more time developers take, the more time other proof-of-stake blockchains have to encroach on Ethereum’s market share.

The world’s second-largest cryptocurrency by market share fell 6.4% yesterday, down 66% from its all-time high in November last year.

What do you think of this subject? Write to us and tell us!

Disclaimer

All information contained on our website is published in good faith and for general information purposes only. Any action the reader takes on the information found on our website is strictly at their own risk.

Must Read