iOS 16 beta 2 is now available and includes a number of changes and adjustments to new features announced by Apple at WWDC. There are updates to the redesigned lock screen, new features for the system video player, and more. Head below to see what’s new.
One important thing to remember is that iOS 16 Beta 2 was probably finished and baked before WWDC even started. Apple finalizes betas several weeks in advance for internal testing before releasing them to developers. This means that if you had any bugs or specific requests, you shouldn’t expect to see any changes until Beta 3 at the earliest.
It should also be noted that, especially during early betas, changes and improvements are necessarily linear. This means that something that worked in iOS 16 beta 1 may be broken in iOS 16 beta 2. As always, proceed with caution.
That being said, what’s new in iOS 16 beta 2? There are a number of minor but notable updates.
New Features in iOS 16 Beta 2
- Apple has updated the process for editing and creating new lock screens. Now there’s a clear way to remove lock screens you no longer want by swiping up and tapping the trash can.
- We’ve also made some changes to the wallpaper picker in the Settings app to make it clear which wallpaper you’re changing.
- When you set a new photo as your wallpaper, Apple now shows you that you can pinch or adjust the cropping of that wallpaper.
- There are two new filter options for setting photos as wallpaper: duotone and color wash.
- The Astronomy live wallpaper has been updated to add a bright green dot on the map showing your current location.
- Improvements have been made to SMS filtering for messages.
- iOS 16 beta 2 supports iCloud backup over LTE and 5G.
- Earth live wallpaper is now available on older devices including iPhone XS and iPhone XR.
- iOS 16’s system video player now allows you to long press and skim through a video.
- Apple Cash has a modified interface showing balance and options for send and request buttons
- The Apple Card interface in the Wallet app now shows a summary of your daily/weekly/monthly rewards earnings
Have you spotted any changes in the current version of iOS 16 beta 2 or iPadOS 16 beta 2? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter @9to5Mac. Stay tuned for our full hands-on coverage with new releases here at 9to5Mac today and the rest of the week.
FTC: We use revenue-generating automatic affiliate links. After.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: